Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Spelling Star

One of the other posts I'm working on is ALL about how my grade level team and I introduce and practice sight words. Together we created, tweaked, field tested, cut and pasted, edited and rearranged, and eventually fell in love with our own system which we named "Spelling Stars".  In a nutshell, we took the first 125 words from the Dolch Sight Word List and gave sets of 25 words color names (pink, blue, orange, purple, and green).  I promise I will tell you later all about how this has helped changed sight word instruction in the BEST-EST way, but for now here's a sneak peak of what I'm working on for this year.  

Once a student masters a particular list (via an end of unit spelling test AND me noticing evidence of correct use in daily writing) we make a SUPER BIG DEAL about it in class.  One of the many things we do to recognize the student's hard work is stand up and cheer as that particular friend comes up to accept an award like this...
This particular award is for the Pink List.
There are 4 more lists to master:  blue, orange, purple, and green

Toward the end of the year many students master all FIVE lists.  We make an even BIGGER deal about this in class.  The rest of the kids all stand and cheer as the student comes up to receive one of these babies!  
It is truly amazing how hard kids will work for one of these!  I bring in the "big dog" (a.k.a our sweet lil principal) to sign this one.  


Oh, guys... I seriously feel like I'm teasing you with this!  Spelling Stars has soooooo much more to it.  You will love it...PROMISE!!  More to come very soon.


Ok, so normally I end my posts with a quote, but this was just too perfect not to sign off with!
Courtest of:  this place right here



Like the graphics and fonts I used?  Check these guys out!
her, or her, or her!

No comments:

Post a Comment